Tuesday, May 25, 2010

TWO VERY LONG DAYS

Hi! I wanted so badly to write yesterday but by the time we got back to the hotel all of us were completely wiped out! Yesterday morning (Monday) we went straight to the orphanage to pick up our children. Benjamin recongized us and was fine being with us and leaving with us again. He is cautious in his eyes and body language but he is allowing us to hold him, comfort him, feed him & just be with him. After we pick him up we then spent some time at the hotel than followed with a traditional African lunch and then off to the Ministry to pick up a very important travel paper that was suppose to be complete. It is too long of a story to explain in detail right now but the paper was not done and we had until 5pm to get it our else I would have had to return Benjamin back to the nuns. It was something that my heart did not want to do. We literally went on a paper chase through Kigali only to return to the Ministry by 4:40 pm. I immediately texted my sister & best friend to start praying because it was not looking promising. Again, this is a long intertwined story but the bottom line is this... it took until 7:10pm and a face to face meeting with the Director of Ministry but we got our letter! Benjamin was by all legal rights ours and he slept in my arms as we drove back to the hotel. It was the most peaceful moment of what had been an extremely nerve racking day. Today was a bit easier but a lot of sitting around and waiting only to be told that we have to come back tomorrow. This, by the way, was at our own Embassy here in Kigali! Whatta ya gonna do?!? Play the game, do what they say, and bring your baby home.

Some prayer requests for tomorrow would be that the final paperwork with the US Embassy would be completed quickly because Wednesday is going to be the day we get to tour the orphanage, talk with the nuns and see the district that they found Benjamin abandoned in. I want to have enough time doing this but we absolutely have to finish the work with the Embassy. Also, that Benjamin would sleep well. He woke up in the middle of the night very frightened as you could image. He did settle down quite quickly but please continue to cover him in prayer. Also just that patience and understanding will be upon everyone in our group. It's tough but this is also an amazing group of families that are together.

One last thing before I go tuck my children in for the night. I've been trying to get Benjamin to smile and even though he's still got his poker face on, I do want to share one thing. Yesterday while we were on our wild goose chase for info he started singing to himself. Although I couln't understand a word he was saying, it was the most beautiful song I've ever heard! He's an amazing little man!

Love to everyone!

Cherri

PS- I'm having troubles posting pictures. It has to do with the slower internet not being able to load them. I'm still going to try one more thing so hopefully you will be able to see what I'm seeing! Cross your fingers xxxx!

3 comments:

  1. sounds wonderful to me + so exciting and a lot at once:) I keep praying for you guys!!! love <3 Nora

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hang in there! the trip is tiring and frustrating at times, but so many are praying for you! So happy for you guys and look forward to more stories and pics!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cherri, I can't wait to hear all the details and see pictures when you get back. Please, know that we are praying for you all!

    Can I ask please, that you all would be in prayer for Rick and I for wisdom and discernment of God's will for us and that it would be made very clear. We are suddenly faced with a HUGE decision that needs to be made quickly. I will tell you all about it when you get back but, wanted to ask you all to be in prayer for us right away.

    Love you guys!
    -Ruth

    ReplyDelete